Saturday, February 6, 2010

You gotta be creative even when you're dead in Milan!!!

My first ever trip to Europe - first one Italy started back on Sept 9th, 2009. I know it had been months since I am suppose to put these photos up. Had been very busy after the trip as more trips had been coming along =). First destination, Milan. Many will say there's nothing in Milan, just a fashion city, as I'm not a fashion person, it could most probably be boring to me. Well, since I had that extra two days before I meeting up with my friend in Venice, I still gave it a go to make a trip there, at least I could loudly say I had been there. And unexpected experience came when you least expected it.
Not only this is my first ever trip to Europe, it's also the first time I had to spend overnight on an airport bench, and bear in mind alone too. The experience was not that bad after all. Ride on the earliest flight the next morning to Milan reaching there around 11 in the morning. It's a bit excited and at the same time scary for me too being alone in a foreign country and moreover a country where less or no English direction is available. Due to this, I had spent at least half an hour wandering in the train station trying to find where's the connection to their metro. Tried to ask someone but they can't speak English and kept giving me directions in Italy which obviously I couldn't understand a word. Spent more than an hour plus before I manage to get myself to the hostel which it's only suppose to be 15-20 mins metro ride, if only I could find the station earlier. Highlight of the two days trip in Milan was the cemetery (yes it is, it's the most special one that I had ever seen). Passing through cemetery had been a norm for me since the place where I'm staying now in Littlehampton, everytime I need to walk to the town, I will have to pass through one. It's not scary at all since they are very well kept and tidy. What's so amazing about the cemetery in Milan? I never expected myself to visit a graveyard during holiday. Just so happened that the moment I got the city map, one of the few city attractions is Cimitero Monumentale, and since I have two full day here might as well I go visit it after reading the guidebook that I can find a 3D Last Supper over there. And unexpectedly it's a large cemetery, and each graveyard is unique with their own different sculpture. Some are even massive like a whole building, housing all the deceased family members. Another unique thing that I had discovered in Milan is their building architecture. The outer facade all looks similar with balcony and windows, but once you step in, passing through the passage door, you will be come to a courtyard.It's similar to the feeling of a 四合院 in China. Photos explained better with that. And the hostel that I had stayed is still using an antique elevator, it's so small that only one person with a luggage can fit it. Being alone travelling also let me had a chance to know new friends from the hostel. We even had a wonderful dinner in a bar in Milan experiencing their "Aperitivo" - Milan is the native city of the Aperitivo which means you order a cocktail at the happy hour (special price) and you can eat for free as much as you like. Made friends with travellers from Barcelona, China and Switzerland. Had fun chatting with strangers all night.

Find the whole Milan album here

Next destination will be on Venice, not sure how long it will takes this time......

No comments: